Friday, March 16, 2007

Tears to Jammies

It's amazing that when I think about yesterday evening, it seems like 2 totally different evenings to me. I think if Sophia had the vocabulary, she'd say the same. Isaac started a new job yesterday at the High School that will last until the end of May, which meant that Sophia was at the babysitter. It's very hard for her to nap when she's at others' houses, so she didn't get one, which meant that she fell asleep in the car on the way home and stayed asleep for nearly 2 hours before Isaac got her up. She was NOT a happy camper 20 minutes later when I walked through the door. She could not be consoled - other than to hold her on the couch, in complete silence. I was starving and really didn't feel like having to sit, waiting to eat while a 2 year old girl took 30 minutes to adjust to being awake after sleeping 2 hours. So I suggested that we put her in her crib and she could just sleep more if that's what she wanted to do. Well, she cried and cried and was finally quiet, so Isaac ventured back to her room to see if she was ready to join the family. Here's how their conversation went:


Isaac: Sophia, are you ready to come out and eat dinner with us.

Sophia: No.

Isaac: Do you want to just stay in your bed then.

Sophia: No.

Isaac: I think you better just stay in your bed.

Sophia: No, no, no!

Isaac: Are you ready to come out then?

Sophia: Yeah.

He picks her up and carries her through the hall.

Isaac: Are you ready to tell Mama that you love her?

Sophia buries her head in his chest and tries to avoid eye contact with me.


I made her sit with me at our "breakfast bar" (which is actually more like a meal bar, since we don't really have a kitchen table) and she shared my food with me. After we ate, she was in good spirits and sat in my lap on the couch and even giggled at Isaac's antics as he recounted his first day at his new job. I got up at one point to get some water and noticed a box on the counter...from Grandma Becky! Sophia, when asked, was very ready to open it up and was overjoyed to see all of what her Grandma had sent. And she was so, so happy about her new jammies. After she had them on she danced around the living room and sang a song she quickly thought up called, "New Jammies". We were even happier for those jammies, considering they are the zip up, button at top, kind that she hasn't figured out how to take off yet (just yesterday morning, Isaac found her completely naked in her bed when he went to get her up!)

So thank you Grandma, for the much needed stuff (and the extra fun stuff), and thank the Lord for bad evenings gone good!

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad your evening redeemed itself. i can't tell you how many times we've had evenings just like that. How cute was her little "new jammies" dance?? That's hilarious.

March 16, 2007 8:28 AM  
Blogger Belle Etoile said...

Isaac said this morning when she got up she insisted on wearing her "cool nammies", as she called them, to the babysitter's house. :)

March 16, 2007 8:40 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

Ohhhhh, this Grammie's heart is so pleased that little bit loved her new jammies. I am getting pretty excited about having a few days with her in April!

March 16, 2007 9:24 AM  
Blogger coolskool mom said...

Did you receive Auntie's gift box yet?

March 17, 2007 9:11 AM  
Blogger Belle Etoile said...

No we haven't! I thought for sure the one from Becky the other day was from you guys... Maybe it will be there today (fingers crossed).

March 17, 2007 10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes all it takes to heal a bad day is some jammies. I think I'll keep that in mind.

March 18, 2007 12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home