Thursday, February 09, 2006

Learning Curve


Often, after studying an object for a lengthy period of time, Sophia will turn to me and let out a great big yell, showing her two shiny white teeth, and smiling. It always makes me so curious - What discovery has she just made? There's so much going on inside of her mind, I wish I could know which connections she's making and when. We've been teaching her to sign, thanks to a book her Auntie Tara gave us before she was born. This morning, a little groggy yet from sleep, I slipped her into her highchair and reached for her box of Wagon Wheels. I shook the box to offer her some, and she shook her head no. So I picked up her Fruit Puffs. She shook her head again. Thinking she may not be ready for breakfast yet, I pulled down a box of Kix and started pouring my own breakfast. I looked up at her while doing so, and she signed "please". "You want some of these?" - She signed please again. I gave her some, along with some banana she was also signing please for. When her food was all gone, she signed "more". Amazing. My daughter is able to choose what and how much she eats for breakfast. I guess it really doesn't matter if I know the exact moment when that certain synapse is formed, as long as I'm here to see the results. By the way, did I mention I'm home all day every day for two weeks and loving every minute of it?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sophia--You are such a joy to your mom and dad. They are so proud of you and so am I. I love to see your pictures--especially when you are helping in the kitchen. I know you'll be a great cook some day. You are a very smart little girl and remind me so much of your mom. Love you--Grandma Donna

February 12, 2006 8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out to Auntie Tara. I'm so blessed that my sister had such a beautiful and smart baby.

February 19, 2006 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home