Sunday, October 08, 2006

Cordova, Alaska


Weekend before last, I had the pleasure of traveling with my mom and Sophia to Cordova, AK, where I spent the first 5-6 years of my life. It was amazing to be there again, but this time with my daughter. It was fun hearing Mom's stories and seeing Sophia play in places I had played as a little girl. And, of course, it rained and poured almost the whole time.

Sophia had a great bonding time with Grandma Donna. They played and laughed (I think my mom laughed more than Sophia!). It is always nice to see them together. (Note: Sophia looks a little "serious" in this picture, but let it be known that she did have a wonderful time! For example, the first night she didn't go to sleep until well after midnight, as the ferry ride made her way to excited.)



I can't even describe how much it meant to me to see the house I was born in. Even though it was somewhat worn down, it didn't change the fact that it was where I drew my first breath. I just kept thinking, "Who could ever be expected to get a house re-painted in all of this rain!"


Cordova is not only the place where I was born, or where my older sisters went to high school, but also where my nephew Kenneth is buried. It sent chills all through my body to stand next to him, and to have Sophia "meet" her cousin here on earth.


Kenneth has moved on to a much bigger and better place. Keep him company, John, until we get there.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Katie--That was so touching. I'm glad that we're all forming memories together. That's really all you have when somebody passes on is the memories. I have reminders all the time about time shared with John. Thank you for taking the time from your very busy life to spend quality time with me. Love you so much--Mom

October 08, 2006 10:24 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

How beautiful! What a nostalgic trip for you and your mom and Sophia. The pictures are so touching--and precious.

October 08, 2006 5:21 PM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

You can never go back it's been said in a quote and in a way it's quite true.

But in your mind's eye you can always go back to the place that has meaning for you.

(From the poem I wrote after being with my family)

October 08, 2006 7:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Katie, I'm so glad you guys got to do this. What a special time for you and your mom and Sophia. I'm sure you'll treasure this time in your heart for a long time.

October 09, 2006 7:32 AM  
Blogger Tater said...

This blog brought tears to my eyes. Sophia is so beautiful and I am so proud that she got to go and "visit" Kenneth. What a wonderful treasure for you to witness.

November 03, 2006 8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home