Friday, October 13, 2006

Flood

With all that's happened in this past week, I've had a lot of time to think about what's important to me. When we were told that we'd have to leave our home (what?!) I was overwhelmed with anxiety. Thank goodness I had, just last week, organized my pictures into one large mound of boxes and stacks in our bedroom. But that, even, didn't seem like we were prepared enough. Thoughts raced through my brain about safes - waterproof, fireproof, earthquakeproof safes. I thought about the things I had left at home to face possible destruction: letters between me and Isaac, the journal we had kept when I was pregnant with Sophia, my wedding dress - not to mention Isaac's bear rug.

The truth is we are never prepared enough to "save" our belongings. In an instant, all of what we physically possess could be gone.

What I've learned from this is not that I should disregard all of what I own, but to rather spend my time and energy in my relationships first and foremost. My relationship with God, my family, my friends.

I am grateful to be back home, but I am also grateful for the reminder.

To view some pics from the flood, go here.

7 Comments:

Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

i could do without all the rest, but i couldn't do without you, babe. it's good to be home.

October 13, 2006 8:40 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

You two are so beautiful. What a team--a team that God put together to weather many storms of life. In such a short time, you've been through many. And you're so right Katie, it's the relationships that really matter. Neat to realize that it is relationship that God wants with each of us as well--that's why Jesus came in the first place. You've reminded me in such a sweet way of how important that is. Love you so much,

October 13, 2006 9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie--This reminds me of when we were living in Platina, and could smell the smoke of the forest fires. I feared that we would not be able to escape with our lives. After you kids, the next most important thing was all of the photo albums. They have survived so many moves--miles and miles. More important than the photo albums, however, are the memories of you kids growing up. If the pictures are destroyed, I'll still have the memories of my precious children. Thank you God for giving me seven healthy and beautiful children. You have been good to me, and sometimes I take You for granted, but I know that You took John at a time when he was ready for heaven. Thank you, too, Katie, for your love and forgiveness. Love you--Mom

October 15, 2006 4:11 PM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

Katie I love your perspective because it's God's perspective.
We must always keep eternal values in view !!

October 15, 2006 5:42 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Hi, I got your comment on my site and came over. I'm glad you are all alright!

October 15, 2006 9:23 PM  
Blogger coolskool mom said...

we have been evacuated several times due to fires...it can be really scary and intense trying to think what do I take with me, really the only thing i ever cared to take was my picture albums and some files from my file cabinet with important papers. everything else is just stuff. it can all be replaced execpt my pictures.... i am glad that your stuff is ok.

October 16, 2006 9:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, sorry it took me so long to comment. You are so eloquent and such a great example of a great christian woman. I love and appreciate you more than you'll ever know

October 16, 2006 10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home