Tuesday, March 20, 2007

1989

No year stands out more to me than 1989.

In school, we learned about the fall of the Berlin Wall. 10 years later I would live with a family in Germany whose lives changed dramatically when that wall came down. Without the ending of that separation between Ost and West, I probably never would have come to know and love my German family.

My parents got divorced. We were living in Northern California at the time in a tiny town called Platina on a 20-acre plot of land my parents had bought way back when. My dad loaded the 4 or us kids up in our orangish-brown Ford crewcab, threw some bags of clothes in the back, and we made our way back up North to Alaska.

And on this date, in 1989, the first in the group of our nieces and nephews was born: Kenneth James Kramer. My sister Patty flew to California to visit us that year and show off her new baby boy. For weeks afterward, everytime we'd see a plane fly by overhead we'd wave and say, "Bye Patty, bye Kenneth".



11 years later we would have to say "bye" to him for real. But we never would have had that chance if he hadn't started his journey in the first place. So I want to recognize that gift God gave us on March 20, 1989: the day when his Mom held him and knew that nothing in this world will ever compare to giving life.



Happy Birthday Kenneth!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was so nice, Katie. I learn new things from you all the time. I don't remember you children waving at planes after Patty's visit. Your comments brought tears to my eyes. This blog is like a diary keeping your memories in a memory bank so you'll never forget. Love you--Mom

March 21, 2007 11:19 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

BE, all I can say is you are writing a beautiful book. The windows into your soul are beautiful to look through. What a precious tribute to your nephew.

March 21, 2007 11:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, Katie. This is so so beautiful. Your stories are so vivid. I am in tears again.

March 21, 2007 11:44 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

The Encourager says:
BE - God has given you a mind filled with memories and a heart filled with love.
Thank you for "sharing" Kenneth James Kramer with us.

March 21, 2007 3:36 PM  
Blogger Tater said...

You give me goosebumps, Katie. You are an exceptional writer. I had forgotten all about waving to the planes in the sky. Thank you for bringing so much of my childhood back to me. I love you.

March 21, 2007 5:06 PM  
Blogger coolskool mom said...

You are an excellent writer, Your stories have so much life.

March 22, 2007 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home