Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Full Lives


Therefore Jesus said again, "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. ... whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it the full." John 10:7,9-10

Knowing Jesus means having a full life, certainly. If, we take advantage of the opportunity. In my life I see having Jesus as finally having love - being truly loved for who I am, and being able to love others through Him. To think of all the opportunities we each have every day to show our love - to show Jesus' love. Personally, I can think of many opportunities I have to reach out to people in Jesus' name. Most of those chances are blown away with the wind as I'm contemplating whether I should take the chance or not. This verse reminds me that I shouldn't hesitate to reach out to someone. It just might make this life that much fuller.



I'm reminded of my brother-in-law Fred, who seems never to miss such an opportunity. He, his wife Charif, my husband, and I traveled to Costa Rica together a few years ago on a "double honeymoon". We stayed in a small town on the Caribbean Coast for a week in a house we rented right on the beach. The people we met were so lively, and friendly, and helpful. Fred wanted to give something back to those who had helped us have such a unique and awesome trip, so he invited everyone over for a party. We served spaghetti, and laughed, and talked... But first, Fred prayed for the meal and for our fellowship together. Being newly saved, I remember this making a huge impact on me. Even though some (probably most) of the people at the party that night had little if any knowledge of, let alone faith in, Jesus, Fred was willing to share Him with the group.



Today, I am encouraged to experience the fullness that Christ gives us, and take that chance to reach out in His name.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger auntibeck said...

Katie - I love the way God is working in you and through you for His glory

Prayer of St Francis of Assisi

Belle prière à faire pendant la Messe

Seigneur, faites de moi un instrument de votre paix.
Là où il y a de la haine, que je mette l’amour.
Là où il y a l’offense, que je mette le pardon.
Là où il y a la discorde, que je mette l’union.
Là où il y a l’erreur, que je mette la vérité.
Là où il y a le doute, que je mette la foi.
Là où il y a le désespoir, que je mette l’espérance.
Là où il y a les ténèbres, que je mette votre lumière.
Là où il y a la tristesse, que je mette la joie.
Ô Maître, que je ne cherche pas tant à être consolé qu’à consoler, à être compris qu’à comprendre, à être aimé qu’à aimer, car c’est en donnant qu’on reçoit, c’est en s’oubliant qu’on trouve, c’est en pardonnant qu’on est pardonné, c’est en mourant qu’on ressuscite à l’éternelle vie.
La Clochette, n° 12, déc. 1912, p. 285.

More than 100 different English versions of the text exist. The most popular is this following one :

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.

See you at Jesus' birthday party.

December 05, 2006 4:27 PM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

Oh yes, "now unto HIm who is able to do beyond and above all that we ask or think, be all the glory!" You are such a blessing to us Belle...

December 05, 2006 4:31 PM  
Blogger coolskool mom said...

Thanks, that was a really sweet memory

December 05, 2006 6:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for the sweet reminder BE. I really need to be more bold to.

December 05, 2006 8:32 PM  
Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

You could write the most real and honest daily devotional book. If you did, I'd use it for myself. I love you.

December 06, 2006 12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home