Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Happy St. Nicholas Day!

Saint Nicholas Saving Seafarers (December 6)
From the Belles Heures of Jean, duke of Berry, fol. 168r
The Limbourg Brothers, France (Paris), active ca. 1400-1416
Tempera and gold on vellum
The Cloisters Collection, 1954
The Metropolitan Museum of Art - New York

Did you know that if you say "St. Nicholas" really fast it comes out sounding like "Santa Claus"? I found that to be such an amazing piece of information when we were told by our music teacher in fifth grade. When I lived in Germany right after high school, I experienced my first real "St. Nicholas Day". My host mother advised me, "Putz deine Schuhe sehr gut, sonst laesst Sankt Nikolaus keine Suessigkeiten fuer dich." (Clean your shoes up well, or St. Nicholas won't leave you any goodies.) I must have spent an hour getting them just right before leaving one of them by my bedroom door and climbing the ladder up to my loft bed. The next morning I was greeted by a shoe full of candy and oranges. And although we didn't do an Advent Kalendar, I was able to see a few very neat ones, one in particular that I especially liked. It consisted of 18 hand-sewn pouches linked by a string and hung on the wall. Each pouch contained a different gift for each day leading up until Christmas. (I hope to make one similar to it for Sophia for next year.)

7 Comments:

Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

maybe papa will get one too.

December 06, 2006 4:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a neat story. Are you celebrating with Sophia today?

December 06, 2006 4:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ok, that was weird MF. There were no comments when I went to put mine on. Ours appeared at the same time.

December 06, 2006 4:50 PM  
Blogger Belle Etoile said...

I thought about celebrating with Sophia, but she hasn't really gotten a lot of candy in her life, so she'd probably have a shoe with just a satsuma orange and a tootsie roll or something.

Or maybe that's all that would fit anyway! :)

Anyway it's too late, because we would have had to clean our shoes last night...

With that said, be sure to tune in next year on this date and see what she gets in her shoe!

December 06, 2006 5:13 PM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

How darling! (Yeah, Jdawg, that happened on MFs yesterday, encourager and I posted at the exact minuto!) I LOVE an advent calendar--we had many versions for our kids growing up...but I really like the little items or trinkets in the little pouches kind too. Bye family for the moment...

December 07, 2006 8:07 AM  
Blogger The Chindo said...

me, I want a hula hoop!

December 07, 2006 8:56 AM  
Blogger coolskool mom said...

That would be so fun for Sophia next year.

December 09, 2006 2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home