Saturday, February 17, 2007

Thoughts on a Girl

I have a crush...on a girl. She'll be two soon and I can hardly believe it. She's got lots of personality, which sometimes drives me crazy but mostly makes me laugh. Last night, her personality was such that she didn't want to listen to anything I said. She wanted to do just the opposite. She did that up until I realized that: 1. I was with her every day for 17 days in a row, and then I suddenly was gone one morning when she woke up and 2. Maybe she missed me and was trying to tell me in a way that she knew how. Before I had this epiphany, I spoke harshly to her, trying to rebuke her (my Bible study talk coming out) for what she was doing (or not doing). My moment of clarity was followed by an overwhelming feeling of guilt. I felt like I was the worst mom in the history of moms. So we went in her room for the rest of my awake time and talked about toys while she played and I sewed some buttons on a sweater. After Isaac put her in her crib I snuck in for one more snuggle, but decided rather to snatch her up and take her to my bed, where we hid under the covers and waited for Papa to come in so we could surprise him. He was surprised. And Sophia loved surprising him. Then we got to snuggle a little more before I put her back in her crib. :)

I love that she's so forgiving even though I mess up ALL THE TIME. I love that she copies me by saying "shoot" when she drops something. And that sometimes, when she gets up from her nap she realizes she's still tired and asks to be put back in her crib for some "more night-night". I love that she's a laugher and a smiler. And I love that she loves me back.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You are such a sweet mommy. Sophia is so blessed to have you for her mommy and friend.

February 17, 2007 9:59 PM  
Blogger LauraLee said...

Being a mommy is absolute perfection, but we will never be perfect mommies! You just taught your sweet girl one of her first lessons in forgiveness!

February 18, 2007 7:40 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

Precious, preicous, precious. This is exactly what makes you such a WONDER-full Mama.

February 18, 2007 9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This brought tears to my eyes, sweetie. We can't always be perfect in the role of mom, but you're pretty close to it, in my opinion. We try our best, and that's all we can do.
Love you--Mom

February 18, 2007 12:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like the new layout BE.

February 18, 2007 1:33 PM  
Blogger Tater said...

"more night-night time" is the cutest thing i have ever heard. i love you, katie, and i'm really crossing my fingers that isaac finds a teaching job in fairbanks!! i can think of nothing more fantastic than having you close so i can see my niece and soon to be niece or nephew grow up. i also really want our kids to be friends when i start having kids. plus, i'm going to have so much more free time since i'm working at home!! lets pray for this!!

February 19, 2007 8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home