Monday, January 22, 2007

One of my all-time favorites

Catalina Island, August 2006

Two babies holding their toes. I don't know what it is exactly about this picture that I love so much. Maybe it's that soft hue on their skin that reminds me of warm days cooling down. Or the fact that Sophia looks so much littler in this picture. Her face so much fatter, and her hair a little finer. Or is it because I see two cousins infatuated with each other, loving each other, wanting to sit together on a lawn chair while so much is going on around them? (I love how the lumbar support for an adult serves as a head rest for them.)

Beautiful children. I never loved children in general as much as I do now. I always loved kids, but now I look at a child and see so much more: I see the pride (or lack thereof) of parents, and grandparents; I see a person changing in mind, body, and soul every single second; I see the awesome love of God in these wonderful kids. And I have to ask myself why I never saw any of this before.

I think Sophia has given me a reason to slow down a little bit. To, as they say, stop and smell the roses (literally - even fake ones). She gives me a reason to appreciate EVERYTHING so much more. Way too many things to count, so I'll just say "thanks Sophia", and leave it at that.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

And thank you, BE, for sharing. I love this picture too. I'm excited to see how their friendship will blossom as they get older.

January 22, 2007 8:27 PM  
Blogger Tater said...

I absolutely love Sophia's smile. It's so sweet but just a little mischevious. I cannot wait to get to know her as she gets older. My nieces are so precious to me. Beautiful little girls that make me proud to be Auntie Tara. When the heck are you guys moving to Anchorage?! With my luck, I'll be moving to Fairbanks as you're moving here and in that case, maybe you can rent my two bedroom condo that I'm planning to buy!! :) I love you, Kates.

January 23, 2007 8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That brought tears to my eyes. I'm glad you're enjoying your precious daughter so much. Can hardly wait until you get to do so full time. Love, Mom

January 23, 2007 8:59 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

Motherhood, in a word. If it were an infectious disease, you would have it in your heart and in your soul--incurably, indelibly imprinted...forever...beautiful.

January 23, 2007 5:30 PM  
Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

i like the steamy romance novel by the chaise lounge.

January 23, 2007 10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home