Friday, February 24, 2006

Memories, too, are worth a thousand words

No picture today - kind of deliberate, but only because I didn't want to ruin the moment. Isaac had a men's Bible study group to go to last night, which meant it was just Sophia and I for about an hour before we both hit the sack. I gave her a bath, taking her auntie Annie's advice to dump water over her head, instead of gingerly covering her eyes to protect them from the water. Sounds harsh, but it's a really great point and makes the whole bathing process (especially the rinsing part) so much smoother and easier. She's gotten pretty used to it by now, but I kind of overdid it by dumping three cups, one after the other, over her head and consequently, down her face. It scared her so bad that she actually yelled at me when she finally caught her breath.

After her jammies were on and we were back in her room, I reached for the book I read aloud to her nightly - Im Schlaraffenland der Tiere. She loves it. The pictures are great, plus it's about a bunch of animals who get to eat and sleep all day long and never grow old - right up her alley. When we were done and I said the last words: "...besuchen wir die Kurzerhand, die Tiere im Schlaraffenland.", she picked up another book, "Goodnight Alaska", and started reading to me. She was so serious, and she went page by page pointing out the animals to me, like I do with her in "Schlaraffenland". There she sat, with her tight brown curls still wet from her bath, looking up every once in a while to make sure I was still listening. How could I not? I could hear her voice, my own daughter's voice, and was almost convinced that there is some "Baby Language" out there that we adults will never be able to understand. If I didn't know German, I would think it were German, or English, if I didn't know English. Maybe it was Dutch? :)

Being read to by a 11 month - 3 week old baby. It was such a perfect moment - so perfect, that I just sat there and enjoyed it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sophia is so fortunate to be learning two languages. Hope your day goes well. Love you--Mom

February 24, 2006 10:52 AM  
Blogger sawmaster said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

February 26, 2006 9:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry baby Phia. Auntie forgot to warn your mommy about the drowning affect the dumping of water can have sometimes. Jonathan feels your pain. We love you sweet girl and can't wait to see you.

February 28, 2006 6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home