Saturday, January 20, 2007

If you wait, she will eat.



I've discovered a little trick to making Sophia eat what we make for dinner: Don't feed her any snacks 2 hours beforehand! May sound a little cRaZy, but it works. Last week, I actually got her to eat some pork. And the other night, chicken. Amazing. It actually makes sense, too. I mean, it works for adults, why not kids?

Take me for example. A good friend of mine gifted me a bag of oriental trail mix that I brought to work to snack on, but shortly thereafter I realized I didn't really care for it. So it sat there, in my office, waiting for the time when I would be so stark ravin' stravin' that I would devour a couple of handfuls of it. And, it happened. It's actually happened about 10 times now (the bag is nearly empty) and I can hardly believe it, because each and every time I finish eating my little snack of oriental trail mix, I think to myself, "Never, again." Yet there seems to always be an "again". And again, and again.

All this to illustrate that if you are really, truly hungry, you will eat food. Whether it be pork sandwiches, or dried, weird looking cracker things with wasabi flavor sprinkled all over it. (They are all-natural, I might add, although I can't fathom how.)

Sometimes, though, Sophia is just plain stubborn (No! - you say). It seems that if we act too interested in the fact that she's eating something, she'll throw her spoon to the floor and that will be it. Incidentally, when she was eating that chicken the other day, I had to look away in fear that she would see the joy on my face, and decide not to eat it after all. I acted like I couldn't care less, until of course she had eaten it all and I jumped up and down with complete and utter delight. If I ever had a chance of being cool in my life, that chance is now over. :)

Getting the chance to be a mommy to this little stubborn angel makes it way worth it.

7 Comments:

Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

I can't remember--how long had she gone without eating before she started in on the wire whisk?

January 20, 2007 8:58 AM  
Blogger Belle Etoile said...

I like to think of that image being very symbolic - it's actually prison bars keeping any weird foods...

January 20, 2007 9:03 AM  
Blogger Belle Etoile said...

I meant keeping "out"...

January 20, 2007 9:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's hilarious. You know I always hate it when people say "kids will eat when they're hungry", but I know it's true.

January 20, 2007 10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What was her reaction when you jumped up and down after she had eaten her chicken. You should write a book. You're the new Erma Bombeck, in my opinion. Love you--Oma

January 21, 2007 10:48 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

I'm glad there wasn't a mask in front of that wire whisk... :) Stubborn streak? Noooooooo, I say. Too cute for words! (bye the way, they all eventually wind up being reallllly stubborn about food--we just have to endure! :)

January 21, 2007 6:30 PM  
Blogger coolskool mom said...

I can remember the first time that we watched Penny eat chicken on her own with out us hounding her, we tried really hard to not look at her or at each other, we were dying inside, ready to burst with joy, however we kept our cool and acted like it was no big deal. Keep up the good consistent work and it will work.

January 22, 2007 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home