Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Vestation?

I still want to post a little bit more about our trip before I return to "normal life" posts (I'm still kind of in that state of post-trip-reminiscence), but quickly, I wanted to mention the countdown clock I've added about vestation. Isaac asked me last night, "Is that even really a word?" And, or course, my answer was a bold, "YES!", with justification being that we say it here at work. Then, after much thought, I realized how confused some people could become at the reading of it, and decided I would just tell you what it means.

Simply, vestation is the state of being vested in a company. Or, in my case, labor union. January 30th marks 5 years in the union to which I belong, ensuring that I will never lose the hours I've put in, and that I'll receive a retirement check (however substantial) when I turn 60 years old.

This vestation was the reason I continued to work after my daughter was born. It's also the reason Isaac's been a stay-at-home dad this whole time and that I've been subject to this goofy schedule. It's the second of the ten-thousand goals we seem to have accumulated in our time together (the first was getting our Kirby Vacuum paid off - woo hoo!). And soon, our next goal will be met. I just felt it deserved a final countdown.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good for you BE. You've worked so hard and you deserve it.

January 03, 2007 6:23 AM  
Blogger coolskool mom said...

How much was a Kirby vacuum anyway? I need a good vacuum and I know kirby is a good name and my mom had one when i was a kid, is it worth it?

January 03, 2007 7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Katie. I know you've worked very hard, lost sleep, and made many sacrifices. So when will vestation day finally come? Love you--Mom

January 03, 2007 7:45 AM  
Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

Can't wait baby.

January 03, 2007 8:57 AM  
Blogger Belle Etoile said...

CS - The basic model is around 1600 (without any extra attachments - shampooer, etc.). It is way worth it - I love ours.

Mom - Jan. 30th (assuming that I don't miss any days between now and then).

January 03, 2007 9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see that now. I read your blog again, getting it ready for Pete to read. He's anxious to see the pictures of Sophia at Winchester Mystery House.

January 03, 2007 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the clarification - and here all this time I thought that vestation was a time interval while a woman is waiting to give birth.

January 03, 2007 12:29 PM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

That would be "gestation!" It's almost here BE!

January 11, 2007 6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home