Thursday, January 18, 2007

Sophiecdotes

Some things that are making me go into spontaneous laugh today:

A few days ago Isaac and I were talking on the couch together (our favorite place in the whole world) and I glanced over at Sophia, who happened to look up at me at the same time. Her eyes lit up, she cracked a slight grin, and started to back up a little bit. I looked back at Isaac and kept talking, but by the time I looked back over at her, she was laughing hysterically and running away, tripping over every toy and blanket while she desperately tried to find some sort of sanctuary from her crazy mother who was "chasing" her all throughout the house. This is what our chasing games have produced.

*

Last night I was on the phone with a friend and Sophia was playing nicely next to me, until she decided to climb up on the back of the couch and onto the blanket-fort that Isaac made her. If you've ever made one of these, you know how unstable the tops of these blanket-forts are, as they are made of only blanket. :) Before she could fall into it, I pulled her back and scolded her about sitting nicely on the couch, and she could have gotten hurt, and please never do that again, which I ended with, "Okay?". No response. "Okay, Sophia?" Nothing. "Sophia. Okay?" "Otaaaaaaaaaaay!" was her response. Made me feel like a total nag, but gave me a good laugh, too.

*

This morning Isaac told me about how he'd tried to engage Sophia in conversation (while she stared blankly at one of her Baby Einstein videos) by asking, "Sophia, where's Mama?" She continued to stare at the TV but shrugged her shoulders. He asked again, yet her eyes did not move from the screen, and she shrugged. After he asked for the third time, she looked at him in the eyes, jerkily shrugged her shoulders, and then turned back to the TV. Did you not see me the first time, nor the second???

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

on our walk the other night, katie was talking about a conversation she had with a credit card customer service agent. sophia was in my back pack singing and apparently not listening. katie had been irked by the csr, so her story ended with something like: "isn't that a bunch of b. s.?" i agreed. so did sophia. from the backpack her song was coming to an end. i can't remember the exact words (since it was mostly babbling anyway) but this is how it ended: "flad blah knee ba po wilto neeno BEEEE ESSSS!"

January 18, 2007 11:55 AM  
Blogger Belle Etoile said...

Yes, apparently she WAS listening after all.

January 18, 2007 11:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, those are the funniest stories. She is so cute and soooo smart.

January 18, 2007 12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Better watch your language. All it takes is one time, and she'll remember it forever. Where did she learn to shrug her shoulders?
Give Sophia a kiss and hug from Oma when you go home.

January 19, 2007 7:24 AM  
Blogger Tater said...

Reading these stories brightened my morning. I can see all the way from Anchorage that she has a little "Auntie Tara Attitude" in her. :) Katie, I sent something in the mail to you. Anyway, let me talk with Dan and tell me a good weekend that we could come visit. I really want you to meet him. It may have to be when the snow melts so we both can drive. Love you.

January 19, 2007 8:28 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

This is so neat BE that you're chronicalling your little darlin's life this way. It will mean so much down the road! I lost our baby books for our kids--hope springs eternal and I was back in the same boxes I've looked in over and over since starting this scrappin' hobby! Nothing had changed, they're still missing. Boo hoo.

January 21, 2007 6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home