Thursday, January 04, 2007

Christmas 06




Looking back on last week, I'd say we had a pretty great Christmas. Isaac's whole (immediate) family made it up to N. California to celebrate Christ's birth at his sister's house. It was a comforable 30 degrees almost the entire time we were there, and we even got some snow on the day after Christmas! We were the first to show up, so Sophia got some individualized time with two of "the cousins" (we'll call them Emonee and Yon-Yon to protect their true identities). Yon-Yon was Sophia's superhero the whole time (notice how she's staring at him in the picture at right), and you'd have thought that Emonee was her very own daughter the way she loved her and wanted to take care of her. No matter how many times Emonee tried to rip Sophia's hair out from the root (Sophia apparently has some great hair for that), Sophia recovered with as much love or more for Emonee than before - but perhaps with a little more attention to Emonee's little grabbers. After a couple of days, the other cousins Deet and Tallgirl showed up and made things even more exciting. I can only imagine the friendships that will evolve between the cousins throughout the years...

The family celebrated Christmas on the 26th, so on Christmas Day Isaac and I took advantage of our spare time and took a 6 hour roadtrip out West to see some countryside. It was beautiful. The weather was perfect and we took a different route back and drove on a very narrow country road where we saw deer and wild turkeys. It was certainly one of our favorite dates yet.

Sophia's grandpa, or Pop-Pop, as we call him, dressed as Santa and surprised the kids with a visit and some stockings. Sophia enjoyed getting the stocking, but didn't want to get too close to that weird bearded fellow. The day ended perfectly with a wonderful dinner lovingly prepared by Grandma. We are so happy and indeed blessed to have had the chance to share Christmas with family.


8 Comments:

Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

Christmas in AK for '07?

Let it start here.

January 04, 2007 6:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Can't wait!

January 04, 2007 6:58 PM  
Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

i nominate this post for blog of the week in the Martin/Duffield dynasty. it's funny, well-informed, touching, and visually pleasing all at once. then there's that hilarious picture of the kids at the bottom.

who's with me?

January 05, 2007 11:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yep, it's pretty great. BE always has wonderful posts.

January 05, 2007 12:35 PM  
Blogger Tater said...

It amazes me how fast Sophia is growing. I looked at her old pictures with her little tendrils of curly hair and her chubby baby body, when I look at her new pictures she has a head full of curly hair and her body is growing into the petite figure that she will one day have. What a beautiful girl and how lucky I am to see my sister growing up all over again through my precious niece, Sophia.

January 05, 2007 3:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So good to see Tater again. Welcome back.

January 05, 2007 9:13 PM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

I LOVE these pix! So much fun. The one of you and TMF is super!

January 11, 2007 6:08 AM  
Blogger Tater said...

PS I love the matching outfits! I think I'm going to do that when I start a family. I can't help but remember how much Katie dispised Mom buying us matching outfits! I, on the other hand, loved looking just like my big sister! :)

January 11, 2007 12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home