Saturday, January 06, 2007

On the other side...Finally!

In one weeks time, our house has served as a quarantine location for the common cold, the stomach flu, and even pink eye. It's as if we've been served a smorgasbord of different diseases, from which our immune systems pick and choose where they'll be defenseless.

Next week: flu shots. First thing.

But for now, we've recovered. Today, Sophia even had her first play date since we left California last week. And she slept through the night the past 2 nights in a row! Without Sudafed even! Hooray! It's surprising, really, how the grass in your own yard gets greener while your trapped inside being sick. (That's my own little saying that I just made up - but maybe I should have said snow instead of grass...and whiter instead of greener...but the point was made nonetheless.)

Speaking of snow, I hear much of Alaska broke some snowfall records this past week. Sophia helped me shovel the other day by carrying chunks of snow from the middle of the driveway over to the sides of it. She surprised me when she asked, "Zee, zee?" (which is Sophia-talk for the German sitzen which means "to sit"). "Where?" I asked, puzzled. Then she pointed at my shovel, turned around, stuck out her bottom, and let it fall into the shovel head. So I tilted it back and pushed her all over in the snow while she giggled and eventually fell off on one of the turns.

She seems to love to go outside because of the snow, but even more so because of the neighbor's "Horses and Honies" (she can't seem to say Pony). She gets to visit them once a day and feed them celery or carrots, or just say hi if we don't have anything for them. Lately, she's been pointing to the door in the evenings and asking after them. I just tell her they're sleeping, and that's good enough for her. It's reasonable since it's dark out at 6:00 that they'd be sleeping. I'm starting to wonder what the excuse will be in the summertime when it doesn't get dark. Hmmm... At least I have the whole rest of the winter to figure that one out - while healthy, hopefully.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so glad you all are better. What a miserable way to return home. You are such a fun mommy for Sophia-pushing her in the snow. I didn't know you had horses next door. That is so great.

January 06, 2007 7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anybody ride the pony? I'll bet Sophia will be wanting to do that in a year or so. Stay warm. Love you--Mom

January 07, 2007 8:58 AM  
Blogger coolskool mom said...

I am glad you are all feeling better!

January 07, 2007 8:01 PM  
Blogger Word Imp said...

No snow here for us in New Zealand. But we've had the sniffles a bit though. We've had loads of sun for a few days but rain is forecast. My daughter Sophie also loves horses. She's 8. We have no horses nearby but whenever we drive by one it makes her happy. Girls and horses, what's that about?

January 08, 2007 12:24 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

BE, I love how you write--you describe everything so that you can just picture it, perfectly, especially the antics of one very adorable 22-month-old. And that heavy snow.....oh my. God bless you today--may you enjoy your week off come tomorrow!

January 08, 2007 10:32 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

Forgot to mention the riding in a shovel--too cute for words!

January 08, 2007 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home